Now in its 18th year of publication, ASTRA’s STEM on the Hill™ State STEM Report Cards series illustrates the importance of scientific and engineering research and STEM Education to state and local economies, job growth, innovation, competitiveness, our standard of living and U.S. national security. A variety of measurements, including data from ASTRA, the National Association of Minority Engineering Program Administrators (NAMEPA), MyCollegeOptions™ and key U.S. Government statistical sources provide context to these reports. These metrics help users compare their own state with others.
Key features of the 2018 State STEM & Innovation Reports include:
- Ranking of States by 9 Key Innovation Metrics (page 2);
- The Top 20 Industry Sectors for each state according to the concept of Location Quotient (LQ) — which provides strategic insight into a State’s special strengths in terms of economic and workforce potential (page 2);
- The Top 40 STEM Job Occupations projected for each state between 2016 and 2026 (page 3);
- The latest state AND national student attitude surveys on STEM careers as conducted by MyCollegeOptions® — a noticable uptrend in STEM interest across the board concerning most enthnicities and gender in most states, and remarkable progress nationally (page 4);
- How the SBIR / STTR program keeps America secure and growing (page 5); and
- Addressing geographic imbalance — EPSCoR / IDeA program (page 6).
The ASTRA State STEM & Innovation Report Cards are the single best source for understanding each state’s outstanding qualities and capacities. ASTRA's “Innovation X-Ray” also helps inform policy debates with specific and the most current data about federal funding, local economies, and workforce development.
Please share these STEM Report Cards with elected representatives, community leaders and others concerned about technology-based economic development and a stronger society. If you have questions or suggestions, please contact ASTRA’s Dr. Robert Boege at email@example.com for more information.